Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Patriot Thoughts

The Iraq war taxes my patriotism more than anything America has done since Vietnam. By taxing my patriotism I mean the conflict between what I believe and the my duty as a citizen of the United States. As an American, I want to see my nation prosper and do well. At a minimum, this is pure self interest. But it goes beyond my personal circumstances. The United States is, and has been throughout its history, a positive force in the world. Whatever lapses this nation has committed, our democratic ideals and beliefs have been a model and a beacon for human aspirations for over two centuries. Those ideals are America’s unique contribution to humanity. I want to see those traditions continue to inspire the world.

But how can I think well of my country when I watch our leaders rush into a destructive and unnecessary war. How do I support my country when it pursues harmful policies of reckless, unthinking intervention, when it casually dismisses the tradition of international cooperation that won the Cold War, when it is held hostage by an a single-minded ideology that reigns death and destruction on other nations in the name of national security?

Patriotic is not an adjective that I would use to describe myself. My patriotism was seriously wounded in Vietnam. I served in that war even though I believed I was serving a questionable cause. When I joined the Army I was a 22 year old political science graduate. I had studied the war, foreign policy and history. I knew the US was making a terrible mistake, that we had stumbled into a civil war on the wrong side. But I joined the Army anyway, hoping to better my chances rather than waiting to be drafted, knowing that I could not refuse induction or exile myself to Canada when the call came. My decision backfired on me when I landed in the infantry where I knew that I could be killed (bad enough) but even worse, I would also kill. I was too scared to say no.

My moral cowardice has haunted me ever since. Along with the shame and anger, I have resented my country for putting me in that position. What particularly bothers me is that patriotism is a concept that trumps all but the strongest beliefs. At least it did in my case. I couldn’t say no. Not in 1970. I’m not even sure I could do so now. And I don’t think that I am that different from most Americans. When our country calls, how can any of us say no. It’s not that easy.

Now the United States is engaged in a difficult, messy occupation in Iraq, an occupation that is based on a questionable concept: preventive war without a credible threat. But does it matter how we got into this mess? Shouldn’t I as a patriotic citizen support my nation in time of war? It’s the same dilemma that vexed me 34 years ago. The only difference is that my personal butt is not at risk. But plenty of Americans are risking their lives in Iraq. And I know exactly how they feel. So how can I not support them?

The best answer I can come up with is to support the troops but not the policy they serve. Americans serving in Iraq are acting in the finest traditions of this nation and they deserve all the credit and support we can give them for their service. But I cannot support the president and leaders who chose to invade and occupy Iraq. They lied to the American people and are grossly abusing this country’s patriotism. Their policies and actions in Iraq are, at best, reckless and cynical and, at worst, will leave this nation even more vulnerable to terrorist attack. The immediate victims of our leaders’ misguided policies are the dead and wounded in Iraq–American and Iraq–but all American suffer from this nation’s loss of credibility and goodwill in the world. Fighting terrorism will be much more difficult without cooperation and assistance from the very nations whose advice America rejected in its rush to war.

These are difficult times for a thinking patriot, especially one like me whose patriotism was long ago supplanted by anger and cynicism. This war has reminded me that patriotism is about the love of one’s country and does not automatically mean support for aberrant policies. For me patriotism means working to ensure that my nation lives up to its democratic ideals, recognizing the contributions of our service men and women even as I question my government’s actions.

So maybe my patriotism isn’t taxed all that much, after all. Until recently, I never thought much about it except to be angry about Vietnam. Now I can see that my patriotism wasn’t lost in Vietnam, only waiting for the right moment to re-emerge. That time is now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home