Tuesday, July 11, 2006

In Memory of John Donovan

John Donovan was buried today. He was a member of my old trail club in Richmond, Virginia who went missing in 2005 while hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. Efforts to find him last year were futile. His remains were found in June of this year when two lost hikers stumbled into his camp. They used matches from John's pack to start a fire which attracted attention from rescuers. A subsequent search located John's remains nearby.

I did not know John. Friends from the Old Dominion Appalachian Trail Club knew him and told me about him. He was an Appalachian Trail thru-hiker, meticulous and well versed in outdoor skills. How he came to lose his life while hiking is a mystery. John Donovan meant much to my friends; their loss is my loss as well.

God rest your soul, John. Your life and friendship have touched more people than you ever knew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home