Tuesday, August 08, 2006

To Die in Vain (or Not)

A debate broke out in the comments to Markos’ Daily Kos post about the funeral of Corporal Phillip Baucus. The first comment was “RIP to a fallen brother and all those who died in vain with him” followed almost immediately by a longer comment that ended with the words “no soldier dies in vain”. The sentiments could not be more at odds. The first comment sounds like it came from a veteran, quite possibly a Marine. The second is from a Kossack whose family has current and former service members.

Dying in vain sucks. I know. I was infantry in Vietnam, 1971. I had no illusions about what the war meant for my country–absolutely nothing–but I served anyway. I was afraid not to. I put my life on the line to salvage American pride because I could not say no to my country. I tried writing a statement of rage to be read on the occasion of my death. I sure as hell didn’t want any “duty, honor, country” bullshit to follow me to my grave. I couldn’t bring myself to actually write the letter but, then again, I somehow managed not to get killed. Others died, though. I just sacrificed my conscience and my humanity when I carried that rifle against people who were no threat to me or my country. That’s why it took me over 30 years to come to terms with my service and my anger.

So now I watch the Iraq war with all too much interest and see the same thing. All that anger comes back. It’s a war based on lies and distortions. The war not only fails to contribute to America’s safety but (unlike Vietnam) it actually makes things worse, all at the cost of 20,000 dead and wounded Americans and infinitely more Iraqis. If that’s not the definition of futility, I don’t know what is. I don’t see much difference. Americans died in vain in Vietnam and they are dying in vain in Iraq. At best, the US will achieve a least worst outcome, nothing close to the shining beacon of democracy promised by BushCheney and his neo-conservative buddies. This war sows seeds of hatred in the Muslim world that will plague the US for years to come.

That said, I will not begrudge a family the comfort of knowing their loved one died in service to the nation, of their pride in that service, of the nation’s recognition and appreciation for that service. The loss of a family member in war is painful and tragic and we, as a nation, owe the family our gratitude and support. For me the issue is service. These honored dead volunteered or, in the case of Vietnam draftees, answered the call. If they died in vain, that is not their fault. The fault lies with the leaders who squandered their service, the leaders who wasted them. If what I considered bullshit or one Kossack called “romantic rubbish” helps the family deal with the tragedy of their loved one’s death, so be it. It’s the least we can do for people who suffered a loss–regardless of what it actually accomplished–on behalf of nation. I’ll save my rage for the real culprits in Washington.

While I will never tell a family that their loved one died in vain, I must be honest with myself and my country and recognize that is exactly what happened in Iraq and years before in Vietnam. If we don’t recognize that we are at great risk of sending even more to their deaths so that the ones before “will not have died in vain”. That is a formula for national self delusion that comes at the cost of even more brave men and women. That delusion probably added another 20,000 names to the Vietnam Memorial. It is a formula for ever more waste.

No one wants to think of their loved one dead in a war that had no reason. But all too often that is the case. While I grieve with the families for their loss, I must remember my amnesia perpetuates more death. I close with the words of Word War I poet and soldier Siegfied Sassoon on the dedication of the memorial cenotaph in London after another war in which many died in vain.

At the Cenotaph

I saw the Prince of Darkness, with his Staff,
Standing bare-headed by the Cenotaph :
Unostentatious and respectful, there
He stood, and offered up the following prayer.
'Make them forget, O Lord, what this Memorial
Means; their discredited ideas revive;
Breed new belief that War is purgatorial
Proof of pride and power of being alive;
Men's biologic urge to readjust
The Map of Europe, Lord of Hosts, increase;
Lift up their hearts in large destructive lust;
And crown their heads with blind vindictive Peace.'
The Prince of Darkness to the Cenotaph
Bowed. As he walked away I heard him laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home