Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I Wish...

Wow. The new US Director of National Intelligence, Michael McConnell says that Al-Qaeda is the "worst threat" to the United States. That is actually good news. Yeah, I know they are dangerous and certainly committed to actions that will harm Americans and our interests but think about it. They are a rag-tag organization that can only operate from limited safe areas and have limited access to weapons and technology. I remember when the greatest threat to the US was a huge Eurasian nation armed with thousands of nuclear warheads capable of launching an attack that could destroy most America cities. In fact, many of those warheads are still around, perhaps not on hair trigger but still quite dangerous.

So if our worst threat is Al-Qaeda, then the US is fortunate indeed. At their worst, they have launched attacks resulting in thousands--not millions--of casualties and caused economic havoc from which we have largely recovered. But I don't agree with Mr. McConnell. I think that while Al-Qaeda is a threat, it is hardly the worst. The war in Iraq, nuclear proliferation (including the chance of organizations like Al-Qaeda may access nuclear materials and technology) climate change and America's declining economy are all greater threats in my mind.

But, hey, WTF do I know? I'm just a schmuck with a computer.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home