Thursday, February 08, 2007

A Letter to St. John

I sent the following letter to my senator today:

Senator McCain:

According to today’s Washington Post you called Democrats disingenuous for declaring support for U.S. troops while denouncing their commander in chief's strategy. Troops serving in Iraq "won't buy it. A vote of no confidence is a vote of no confidence." Implicit in your remarks is the idea that soldiers will see those actions as inherently contradictory and cynical. You suggest that the only way that one can support the troops is by supporting any mission established by the commander-in-chief.

You distort the situation. The US military is far more diverse than you imply. Many of our service men and women do in fact question their mission, especially those now serving second, third and fourth tours in an increasingly deteriorating situation. Far from being the liberators as promised by the architects of this war, Americans are now, in the words of one soldier, “just driving around waiting to be blown up”. I have no doubt that even those who question their mission continue to serve diligently and with pride if for no other reason than their loyalty to their comrades. Still many ask the larger question about why they are continually put into harm’s way.

My view is influenced by Vietnam combat. I went to that war with grave doubts about its purpose and necessity. Throughout my tour I took solace in every expression of antiwar sentiment I read about and in hearing debate in Congress to force the president to end the war. All that really mattered to me was keeping myself and my buddies alive and ending what was a tragic mistake for my country. Opposition to the war did nothing to discourage my morale. That opposition, especially from my brother Vietnam Veterans Against the War, encouraged me immensely during my time in combat. I welcomed the questioning because it meant that my fellow Americans were moving in a direction that, even if it did not save me, would spare others my fate.

So don’t tell me that the “troops won’t buy it.” I’ve met enough Iraq veterans to know that disagreement is far more widespread than you acknowledge. What I find disingenuous is the way you and other pro-war politicians use “the troops” as a shield to continue this disastrous war.

Sincerely,


Mark Fleming
Co A, 2nd Bn 8th Cavalry
1st Cavalry Division (Air Mobile)
Vietnam 1970-72

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim Yeager said...

I think McCain is going senile...

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me know if he acknowleges your letter. An elected official who would not acknowlege this--from his constituency, does not deserve to be elected to a higher office where he can ignore the rest of us.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home