Wednesday, June 06, 2007

06 June 1944

Today is D-Day. As a kid in the decade following World War II, D-Day loomed in my mind as a cataclysmic event. Men in my community had been part of this incredible invasion, celebrated in movies and television. D-Day was my idea of war, horrible and devastating even as it fascinated me. In those patriotic times, D-Day defined the meaning of sacrificing for one's country.

Many decades later, with my own war experiences, a litany of American interventions, overt and covert, throughout the world and now a military fiasco in Iraq, I envy the soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen of World War II. I envy their certainty and achievement. I don't doubt that their successors have been any less brave or determined. I do question the wisdom of those who have asked so many to sacrifice all these years.

In 1944 America's leaders were worthy of their troops. That is not true today.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

in WWII, flag officers were still on the line, armed, shooting, exposed to fire. in 'nam i don't recall ever seeing much brass on the field beyond the odd silver leaf. the deal of officers putting their rank on the back of their helmets came from patton and macaurther in WWI. the men who needed to know where their officers were could see them up front, and easily follow.

as i recall there were at least two brigadiers who were killed on D-Day. one was the son of theodore roosevelt (although it might have been a heart attack what done him in).

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home