Friday, June 15, 2007

An Early Choice

Funny how things work out. I studiously planned to pay little attention to presidential politics in 2007 since this is way, way early to be making any decisions. But then I met Dennis Kucinich. Actually, I met his wife, Elizabeth, first in early May when she came to town. I know some of the local contacts for the campaign and when I heard they were looking for cheap accommodations, I offered a vacant furnished rental unit for her use, an offer they quickly accepted. I attended one of the events where she spoke and was highly impressed. Elizabeth Kucinich is well spoken and did a good job of conveying her husband's ideals, which sound much like my own.

Last week, Kucinich himself came to Phoenix. During that visit, he met with about 30 of us from the various peace and justice organizations. Once again, I was impressed with what I heard. Not just his opposition to CheneyBush's Iraq fiasco but his recognition that the issue is more than the Iraq war, it's about renouncing war as an instrument of national policy. He's also for single payer health insurance and many other policies I believe would contribute to social and economic justice in this nation and the world.

Kucinich is viewed by the mainstream media as a hopeless long shot. They are probably right. After all, he is challenging what has been the bipartisan consensus underpinning American foreign policy for the past 60 years. Americans these days have no understanding of a world not dominated by our military and economic policies and are unlikely to respond to his challenge. The MSM are probably right--Dennis Kucinich will most likely not be even a long shot candidate this time next year.

Even so, I put a Kucinich bumper sticker on my truck, if for no other reason than I agree with much of what he says and to give his message what little visibility I can. I mean, when was the last time you saw a presidential candidate bumper sticker that included Peace Sign? That alone is worth the space on my bumper.

This year may be too early for a presidential campaign. It's never too early to re-think American militarism.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

on the subject of the endless campaign i was phoned by harry mitchell's office in hopes of another contribution. i supported him last time around with both cash and playing for free at fundraisers. i told the staffer that it ain't happening this time. i'm too damned busy playing harp and bagpipes at the funerals of kids that haven't been brought home to be bothered by people who aren't doing enough to make that happen. the increase in my performing came about because i got another call from the command sgt major of the arizona guard. the guys who pull honor guard detail had commented favorably on the bagpipes especially and he was asking if it would be OK to call me for funerals in the large amorphous urban area we inhabit. he even offered to pay. i told him that if i charged it would have to be scale. there was an intake of breath on the other end of line when i told him what scale was. then i told him that if the family would be comforted and i am available that i would consider every request deeply. for free. no, wait, there's no free about it. we have already paid too much haven't we?

congress can go to hell, i'm going to the rez for a few.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home