Sunday, February 03, 2008

Titles

The other day I heard a candidate exhorting a crowd to support him in "making sure that America remains the greatest nation in the world." The appeal was followed by much cheering, huzzahs, hubbub, etc. My reaction was: Fucking balderdash! Patriotic drivel.

America does not need to be the "greatest nation in the world" as far as I am concerned. America should be a good neighbor, a willing participant and contributor to global initiatives and a model of enlightened self-government. All this adds to national greatness.

Even then, I would disclaim the title of "greatest" nation. That title is bestowed, not claimed. A great nation is not arrogant.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am adding you to my blogroll. I hope you will do the same for me. Chuck Dupree from Bad Attitudes is a colleaug and a friend.

My blog name is:
The Freedom From Patriot News Censorship Blog

The URL is:

http://patriotnewscensorship.blogspot.com/

1:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home