Saturday, May 15, 2010

Wow!

A 16 year old Australian girl just completed a sailing solo and nonstop 23,000 miles around the world. I vaguely recall her setting out but did not follow her trip but, damn, if I don't feel emotional at her accomplishment. Maybe because finishing the Appalachian Trail at Mount Katahdin Summit is a similar experience and I recall the joy of that moment. But compared to her challenges, my six months on the Appalachian Trail don't amount to much. I had regular resupply and human contact. I didn't fight monstrous storms or experience seven knockdowns. (I'm not sure what a knockdown is but I'm sure that it's extremely bad.) I just walked with friends.

Well done, Jessica. Thanks for teaching us what dreaming and determination can accomplish.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home