Sunday, May 20, 2012

Eclipse


 
 The annular eclipse is at totality as I write.  I'm watching online since Olympia's cloudy sky offers no direct view.  Maybe the sky seems darker but I can't tell for sure.

The online eclipse is pretty good, though.  I'm watching on the SLOOH SpaceCamera which has views from California and New Mexico.  I am also watching amateur astronomer Scotty Degenhardt broadcasting live from Area 51 in Nevada.

Scotty's site is more animated, moving from the full image to the extremities of the solar crescent as he captured the full sequence through totality in black and white.  The SpaceCamera is static view, in color and continuously updated. 

Better than I would have seen in Olympia had the sky been clear. I did not have to arrange for protective eyewear.

photo credit:  Tom Bridges

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Labrys said...

Lovely! I am rather north of you, nearer to Mt. Rainier. The clouds were so heavy here that we didn't even notice it happening. And it was pouring down rain.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home