Saturday, September 20, 2014

Almost Fall Velo News

The big velo news is that I turned 9000 miles on my bike computer during last week's ride, ending at a nice, symmetrical 9009 before going in for hip replacement surgery two days ago.  Nine thousand was a nice milestone before what I hope won't be much beyond four weeks.  Even with the break, I don't expect to have much difficulty reaching my annual goal of 1040 miles per year.  Since I've not been able to hike due to the painful hip, I managed to get in plenty of mileage before the surgery.  Seems as long as I didn't have to carry my weight, I could ride with with a tolerable level of pain.  That, plus the incredibly dry, sunny weather we've had in Olympia this summer made for plenty of of opportunities to get out.

Summer is the only time of the year I get to ride in the early morning these days.  Early morning rides have always been a favorite.  When I rode in Phoenix they (often before sunup) were almost a requirement during much of the year.  I came to very much like having the streets to myself.  Here in Olympia, early morning rides mean near freezing temperatures and often wet so I don't get the chance very often.  So this summer's been a real treat.  Mornings on even the hottest days (high 80's to mid-90's) here are delightfully cool.  At their coolest, summer morning temps are still warmer than afternoons during other seasons.  Today and tomorrow look like the last of the warm summer days for 2014.  By the time I am riding again we should be heading for the Big Dark and the rain that comes with it.

The surgery went well and I have been feeling pretty good, all things considered.  I was in the hospital one nigh after the surgery and came home yesterday.  The three day pain block the surgeon used on the incision has worked well so far but I am definitely sore and moving slowly.  The pain block wears off tomorrow so the next few days may be a challenge but my surgeon prescribed both strong and less strong painkillers and I also learned some pain reduction and relaxation techniques from a hypnotherapist.  I think I'm good to go.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home