Saturday, August 06, 2016

Mid-Summer Velo News

Today was not much of a summer day, even by northwest standards.  Cloudy and cool, max temperature was 66 degrees.  Good riding weather, albeit kind of dreary.  I didn't sweat like I did just a few days ago.  Despite the cool weather, the Chehalis Western Trail definitely looked like summer.  All of the trees and brush are fully leafed out.  The small watercourse that runs down a gentle incline is bone dry.  The Deschutes River is very low.  The overcast skies kept me thinking of rain but none was forecast and none fell.

Since returning from the east I've ridden 206 miles.  That's an average of 40 miles per week and well above my typical average of 22-23 miles per week over the past few years.  The difference is that since I've retired I can ride twice a week most weeks.  The weekday rides are especially nice since most everyone else is at work.  I remember enjoying the occasional mid-week rides when I was self-employed.  It's even better now that mid-week rides are a regular part of my schedule.

Had an accident on last weekend's ride.  Getting off my bike as I was coming to a stop I lost my balance and fell off the bike.  I landed on my left side, skinning my knee and elbow in several places.  Nothing broken or seriously hurt although my left leg and arm looked distressingly bloody.  I cleaned the wounds with my water bottle and bandana and completed the final couple of miles home.  My hip and shoulder, which also bore the brunt of my fall without breaking the skin,  were a bit sore the next day.

Bicycling can be risky.  Ask Chris Froome.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home