Thursday, March 26, 2020

Shutdown Velo News




When he announced his latest round of Covid-19 stay-at-home restrictions Governor Islee stated that outdoor exercise like walking or cycling is essential.  We just have to maintain a safe distance while doing so.  That fits my biking style even in normal times so I've had little reluctance to ride.  Weather has been very cooperative--sunny and bright for a Saturday ride and broken clouds and some sun between morning and afternoon showers on Wednesday.

Saturday's ride took me out to The Evergreen State College on the far west end of town.  The best time to ride this route is a Sunday when traffic is lighter.  A normal Saturday afternoon means a steep climb out of downtown in traffic, breathing hard and sucking exhaust.  This Saturday was more like a Sunday--some but not much traffic.  The climb was still steep but once I got up on the west side the ride was moderate.  I didn't see people out and about until I got to Evergreen Parkway, not many but a few taking advantage of the wide, separate bike lane.

The College, though, was deserted.  On a sunny spring day the campus would normally be alive with students.  On this sunny spring day Red Square was emptier than I've ever seen it.  More so than between sessions.  The Activities Building, where I often use a restroom, was conveniently open.  I encountered people all along the trail south of the College.  It's a popular area any time and this day was no different.

What  differed was traffic on Mud Bay Road where the trail ended.  The roadway is four lanes wide, usually with busy traffic in both directions.  The simplest way to cross is to find a hole in each stream that lines up with the other and shoot through the window.  It helps that the end of the trail is a downward slope that I can use to catapult myself across the road.  It does not help that sight distance to the right means that vehicles can come into view suddenly just after I launch.  On this Saturday afternoon I stopped at the top of the incline to check traffic, found none and launched immediately.  Sweet.  The ride back into town and home was easy. 

Wednesday's ride did not have any steep climbs.  The inclines were gentle and traffic was light on city streets.  Most of the ride was down and back on the Chehalis Western Trail so I had no traffic to contend with at all.  Lots of people werer out on the trail--walkers, joggers and cyclists.  Not unlike a busy weekend day.  Most everyone appeared to be keeping a distance from everyone else.  Only the couples walked close together. 

The skies grew darker the farther south I rode.  I knew that rain was in the forecast for later in the day but rain started falling as I approached 103rd Avenue, heavier by the minute.  At that point I figured that I had sufficient mileage for the day and turned around.  It only took a few minutes to ride out of the rain and not long after that, I was riding under mixed sun and clouds.  I made it home well ahead of heavy rain toward evening.

As long as I can ride my bike I don't think self-isolation and social distancing will be too onerous.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home