Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Testing, Testing.

Today I took the test to be certified as a Veterans Affairs Claims Agent. As a certified agent I will be able to assist veterans in seeking benefits and upgrading adverse discharges so that veterans can get the medical treatment they deserve. Certification is not required; I could do the same thing as a private individual with specific authorization from a veteran but certification offers provides legal standing that will be helpful.

Studying for the test meant reading a thick manual of laws and regulations. Actually, I skimmed it and tried to get a halfway decent overview of the process. The study definitely helped--it gave me enough familiarity with the process so that I could make reasonable guesses on the questions I did not know right off. That would be about 23 of the 25 questions.

Now I just have to wait for the results. Apparently, the certification process is backlogged since Congress changed the law to allow advocates to charge reasonable fees for their services. Previously, they were limited to nominal amounts. For the record, I will be offering my services on a volunteer basis. I figure that's the one thing I can do most as an individual assist this new generation of veterans.

The test was at the federal building in Seattle. Coming out afterward I ran into the weekly end the war vigil there. Fellow Americans petitioning their government. I guess we still have that right, even if we cannot get the politicians to listen.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home